The Showdown: Waffles vs Pancakes
In episode three of The Showdown, it's Waffles vs. Pancakes. Let the battle begin!
- 160g Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 25g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Egg White
- 70ml Vegetable Oil
- 300ml Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Crushed Peanuts
- Melted Chocolate
- Melted White Chocolate
- Crushed Pistachios
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks, milk and oil together.
- Whisk the whites until you have stiff peaks. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and combine.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Spray the waffle iron with vegetable spray and ladle on the batter. Cook for 3-4 mins or until golden. Allow to cool once cooked.
- Take a scoop of ice cream and place it onto one waffle. Sandwich a second waffle on top.
- Dip the corner of the waffle in melted chocolate and sprinkle on different toppings. Place the waffles back in the freezer to firm up and then serve.
- For the pancakes:
- 60g oat flour
- Half of one over-ripe banana - mashed
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp of rice milk
- 175ml rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegan meringue:
- Liquid from a 400g can chickpeas
- 125g caster sugar
- Piping bag
- Balsamic strawberries:
- 250g hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 110 degrees.
- Whisk the the chickpea liquid for 10 minutes. It will become thick, stiff and creamy with soft peaks.
- Add in the caster sugar gradually into the chickpea froth and keep whisking for a further 5 minutes.
- Pipe the meringues onto a lined tray and bake in the
- pre-heated oven for 2-3 hours.