We've given our pavlova a coffee twist! This double layered tiramisu pavlova might just be our most indulgent dessert.
- 6 large egg whites
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 packet sponge fingers
- 1 tbsp Kahlúa
- 100ml freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- 500g mascarpone
- 50g icing sugar
- 800ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50ml marsala
- 50g cocoa powder
- Chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Line two baking trays with non-stick paper, and mark a 10 inch circle in pencil on each one.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm.
- With the motor running, add caster sugar 1 tbsp at a time then whisk the meringue to firm peaks.
- Mix in the espresso powder, cornflour and almond essence.
- Divide the meringue mix between the trays, and spread it out gently to form circles.
- Bake for 1 hour, then switch the oven off and let the meringues cool in the oven.
- Once the meringue layers are cool, mix together the mascarpone, icing sugar, marsala and vanilla. Add the cream and mix through, then whisk to firm peaks.
- Add the coffee and Kahlúa to a dish and soak the sponge fingers for a few seconds on each side until all of them are soaked.
- Put one meringue on your serving plate (secure with a blob of cream underneath).
- Spread 1/2 of the cream filling onto the meringue and top with a layer of the sponge fingers. Dust over some cocoa and hen top with the second meringue layer.
- Top with the remaining cream, a dusting of cocoa and some chocolate shavings.