£2 Meal - Toulouse Sausage Lentil Stew
Welcome to your new go-to lentils recipe. It's also just £2 a portion
- 6 toulouse sausages
- 4 rashes of bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Celery stalks
- 1 litre hot stock, chicken or veg
- 400 grams lentils
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 300 milliliters passata
- Bay leaf
- Olive oil
- Start by de-skinning the sausages and breaking the meat up into a pan with a spoonful of olive oil on a medium heat. Throw the bacon in too and let the meat cook until it changes colour.
- Add in the onions, celery and garlic. Cook for about 12 minutes until soft.
- Add in the tomato puree to cover and the lentils.
- Add in the passata and 800 milliliters of the stock, saving the extra till later in case you need it, and pop in the herbs. Bring to the boil, cover and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for about 35 minutes until the lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Check every 8 minutes or so to make sure it's not sticking. Season to taste.