Tropical Rum Trifle
The most extravagant trifle you've ever seen! Full of tropical fruit and all the sweet treats you could ask for.
- 1 packet yellow jelly
- 1 packet green jelly
- Swiss roll:
- 4 free range eggs
- 115g caster sugar
- 75g self raising flour
- 200ml whipped cream
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 passionfruits, flesh and seeds only
- Trifle ingredients:
- 400g custard
- 300g whipped cream
- 150ml dark rum
- 50ml icing sugar
- Kiwi fruit
- Mini watermelon
- Dragon fruit
- Star fruit
- Whipped cream for piping
- Hundreds and thousands
- Make the jellies up as per their packet instructions, and put in the fridge 2 hours before you want to assemble your trifle - you want it not-quite set.
- Line a 23x33cm swiss roll tin with non-stick baking paper, preheat the oven to 190C.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, then sift in the flour and gently fold in.
- Pour it into the lined swiss roll tin, and spread gently.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until springy and lightly golden.
- Turn it straight out onto another piece of baking paper, and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream, rum and icing sugar to soft peaks.
- Once the sponge is cool - spread whipped cream and passionfruit flesh over it.
- Use the baking paper to help you roll up the swiss roll - not too tight or the filling will squeeze out.
- Whip 300g cream with 50g icing sugar and 50ml dark rum.
- Prep all your fruit into into shapes and sizes.
- Put a layer of swiss roll at the bottom of your trifle dish and pour rum over it.
- Start layering fruit up the inside of the dish
- Add a layer of custard, and a layer of fruit across the dish.
- Add layers of almost-set jelly, more fruit, more rum cream and more custard.
- Keep layering until the dish is full.
- Add a final layer of custard to smooth over the fruit. Then add a layer of cream, and pipe cream rosettes around the edge.
- Spoon your remaining passionfruit flesh over the middle of your tropical rum trifle
- Decorate as you see fit and serve!