Ultimate Veggie Burger
Looking for the worlds best veggie burger? Look no further!
- 400g beetroot, leaves trimmed and washed
- 185g quinoa, cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp milled flax seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 300g mozzarella, in a block, sliced into 8 thin squares
- 200g seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300g panko breadcrumbs
- A handful of fresh basil
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 30g grated parmesan
- 100g Mayonnaise
- Red onions, thinly sliced
- Brioche buns
- Chips, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the beetroot onto a lined baking tin, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the beetroot in a food processor and pulse two or three times, making sure you don't mash them completely.
- Transfer the beetroot to a large bowl, add all the other ingredients and stir to combine. If the texture is too mushy add more breadcrumbs.
- Oil 4 crumpet rings and place onto a baking tray. With wet hands, start to build the burger, placing spoonfuls of the beetroot mixture into the crumpet rings to come about 1/4 of the way up the ring. Press a cube of mozzarella into the middle of the burger and cover with some more beetroot mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the crumpet ring and bake for 15 more minutes until crispy around the outside.
- With the mozzarella squares, dip them first in flour, then in egg and then in breadcrumbs, dip once more in egg and finally in breadcrumbs again.
- Fry in oil heated to 180C until golden and then keep warm in a low oven.
- Place the basil, lemon, parmesan and half of the mayo in a food processor and blitz until smooth and green, place into a bowl and mix through the other half of the mayonnaise.
- To build the burger, place some basil mayo on top of the bottom half of the burger bun followed by the lettuce and a slice of tomato. Place the burger down, followed by the crumbed mozzarella square and top with some more basil mayo.
- Place the lid on top and enjoy!