- 340g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 300ml whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated Orange zest
- 120ml fresh orange juice
- Cake: Heat the oven to 180 C. Grease a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely for serving.
- Use as a scrub for skin: Put olive oil on skin liberally and then scrub with sugar or salt, wash off.
- Use to remove paint from skin: Add olive oil, leave for 5 minutes, take off with kitchen roll.
- Use to polish furniture: Restore the lost lustre of your wooden furniture by whipping up some homemade furniture polish that's just as good as any of the commercial stuff. Combine 2 parts olive oil and 1 part lemon juice or white vinegar in a clean spray bottle, shake it up, and spray on. Leave on the mixture for a minute or two, and then wipe off with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Use as a cuticle moisturiser: Rub olive oil into cuticles.