Vegan Deep Pan Pizza
For when your vegan friend missed pizza this is the treat for them!
- For the crust
- 175ml warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- 250g strong bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For the filling
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- To assemble
- 100g vegan mozzerella cheese, sliced
- 200ml pasatta
- Basil leaves, torn
- Make the dough: mix the warm water, yeast and sugar together in a large bowl and let sit for a few minutes. Add the flour, salt and oil and mix well with a spoon. If the dough is still very sticky add a tablespoon or so more flour. Gather the dough and knead for a few seconds to make a soft dough. Cover the bowl with cling film then leave the dough to prove in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Make the filling: heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add in the spinach (you may need to do this in batches) and the salt, and cook until spinach is wilted. Continue to cook for a few more minutes to drive off as much moisture as possible then tip into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Return the pan to the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until softened then set aside.
- To assemble: preheat the oven to 225C. Tip out the dough and using some flour spread it out to flatten, then into a 9’’ springform tin with tall sides. Be sure to spread the dough up the sides of the tin. Keep the bottom quite thick or it might not support the filling.
- Spread half of the cheese over the base followed by half of the passata. Arrange half of the pepper slices next then top with the spinach filling. Finish by arranging the remaining pepper slices then the remaining passata and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve: remove the pizza from the oven and leave it to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve.