Vegan Pad Thai
This authentic Pad Thai recipe from King Cook is hiding a secret. A delicious secret.
- 100g Tamarind block (not from concentrate)
- 250g Warm water
- 300g Raw Coconut Sugar
- 50g Tamari
- 20g Rice Vinegar
- 10g Paprika
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- Vegan fish sauce:
- 300g Tamari
- 1 sheet of Nori Seaweed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Tofu egg:
- 200g Fresh Firm Tofu
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Kalanamak Salt
- 280g of dry Pad Thai noodles
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for stir-fry
- Handful of beansprouts
- Bunch of chopped Chinese chives
- 1 sliced shallot
- 1 clove of sliced garlic
- 250g mix veggies
- 1 Tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1 Tsp dry chilli flakes
- 1 wedge of lime
- Coriander to garnish
- In a bowl add the tamarind block with tepid water and mash with hand separating the pips and pushing it through a sieve.
- Now whisk the sugar, salt, paprika, tamari and vinegar with the tamarind.
- Blend Tamari Nori Seaweed and salt together to make 'fish sauce'.
- In a mixing bowl break up the firm tofu with hands and crumble. Then add turmeric, salt and mix.
- Soak the pad Thai noodles for 10-15 minutes in warm water.
- In a hot wok add oil, shallots, garlic, 'Tofu Egg' and veggies. Cook for a few minutes then add noodles, Pad Thai sauce, fish sauce and stir fry for a few more minutes.
- Finally, add in the beansprouts and chives for some extra crunch.
- Serve on a plate and garnish with crushed peanuts, dry chilli flakes, coriander and a wedge of lime.