Mexican-Style Veggie Chilli
This is one way to spice up your evenings with some Mexican style
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 cup of lentils
- 500 milliliters of veggie stock or chicken
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 4 tablespoons of tomato concentrate
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- Fresh coriander to serve
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- To make the chilli, finely chop the onion and carrot. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil into a pot and sauté the onion and carrots with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes until bronzed.
- Add the crushed garlic, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin and cayenne and mix well with a tablespoon. of water. Let this cook for 30 seconds then pour over the stock, the lentils and beans.
- Stir well and add in the tomatoes and tomato puree and a pinch of salt, bring the chilli to a high simmer then reduce to a low simmer and cook for 40 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the mixture is rich and fragrant.
- Just before this is done mash the avocado with half the lime, a big pinch of salt and pepper smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander.
- Serve the chilli with the avocado and tortillas chips.