Watermelon Jelly Shots
- 1 watermelon - approx 2kg in weight
- 50g caster sugar
- 20 gelatine leaves
- 300ml vodka
- 6 wedges of watermelon
- 200g dark chocolate
- 50ml coconut oil
- Sugar sprinkles, to decorate
- ½ small watermelon approx 2kg in weight
- 80ml lemon juice
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Ice, to serve
- Umbrellas, straws etc to serve
- Optional 200ml ginger ale
- 250g watermelon
- ½ red onion
- ½ jalapeno
- Few sprigs coriander
- Few sprigs mint
- Juice of ½ lime
Watermelon Jelly Shots
- Soak the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water.
- Cut the watermelon in half then remove all of the flesh and place into a food processor. Blitz well and then strain into a bowl through a fine sieve.
- Discard the pulp and put about 100ml of the juice into a large saucepan over a medium heat until hot but not boiling. Add the sugar to the saucepan and leave to dissolve, stirring constantly.
- Squeeze out the water from the gelatine leaves and add to the pan, stirring until completely melted. Pour in the remaining watermelon juice and finally the vodka.
- Give everything a good stir, then pour into the empty watermelon halves. Transfer to the fridge and leave to set for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight.
- When ready to serve, use a sharp knife to slice into wedges.
- Pat the watermelon wedges dry with some kitchen paper. Using a sharp knife make a small incision in the middle of the rind, then insert a lollipop stick.
- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together in a small bowl, then transfer to a mug, which is wide enough to fit the wedge of watermelon into.
- Dip into the chocolate then immediately sprinkle with sugar strands to decorate.
- Lay onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper then put in the freezer for 5 minutes to set. Serve right away.
- Hollow out all the flesh of the watermelon, placing it into a food processor.
- Blitz until pureed then pass through a fine sieve into a large jug. Add the lemon juice and sugar and stir well.
- Either serve now divided between 4 glasses with the lemon slices and ice cubes, or divide between 6 glasses and top up with ginger ale to make a spritz.
- Serve right away with straws and umbrellas to decorate.
- Finely dice the watermelon and put into a bowl.
- Dice the onion and add that to the bowl.
- Finely chop the jalapeños and herbs and add those too. Squeeze over the lime juice and season with a good pinch of salt.
- Toss everything together really well and serve right away with tortilla chips.