Welsh Rarebit Cauliflower Steak
Can you have a steak without meat? YES!
- 1 large cauliflower
- 30g butter
- Vegetable oil
- 100g grated mature cheddar
- 1 tsp english mustard powder
- 10g butter
- 10g flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Worcestershire sauce, a few dashes (optional)
- 1 - 2 tbsp dark ale
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Cut the cauliflower in half then cut a thick slice from each half to make 2 steaks. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add a glug of oil. Season the cauliflower steaks then fry on each side until golden.
- Place the cauliflower steaks onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, remove the steaks and preheat the grill.
- Put the cheese, mustard, butter, flour, egg yolk and Worcestershire sauce in a pan and slowly heat together, adding enough ale to make a paste - you do not want it to be too wet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the cheese mix over the cauliflower steaks and put under the grill for 4-5 minutes or until golden and bubbling.