Wotsits & Pumpernickel Grilled Cheese
This grilled cheese is taking indulgence to the next level!
- 2 slice Dark German pumpernickel bread
- 1 thin slice Sourdough bread
- Bunch of spring onions
- Cheese sauce
- Pickled onions
- 100 grams butter
- Red Onion
- Strong cheddar Cheese
- White vinegar
- 100 grams Parmesan cheese (grated and baked in oven)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white cornflour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- To make the wotsits: pour cornflour and milk into a bowl with the egg whites add a pinch of salt.
- Combine until nice and smooth. Into your mix add a handful of your cooked
- Parmesan. Load a piping bag with mixture.
- Pipe drops of your mix into hot oil. They will cook off quickly, be sure to watch them and take out once crispy and golden.
- Place the fried wotsits into your remaining cooked Parmesan and mix to coat the outside.
- To make the cheese sauce: melt butter in a sauce pan. Add a spoonful of flour. Pour milk in slowly. Add your cheddar and stir all together.
- To make pickled onions: to a bowl of sugar, white vinegar and salt add thinly sliced red onions.
- To make the sandwich: cut white bread to same size as pumpernickle and place under the grill. While toasting your bread cut the spring onions.
- Add cheese sauce to each slice of bread spooning more on top of the white bread and add spring onions to that slice. Top the other slices with grated cheese
- And place all back under the grill.
- Once cheese has melted under the grill place pickled onion on first layer. Place the white bread with spring onion on top and sprinkle wotsits over. Finish by
- Placing the last slice cheese side down on the wotsit layer.