Xmas Star Twisted Bread
'Tis the season for our Xmas Star Twisted Bread. From Nutella to Jam, everyone will want a piece. Our simple and flavourful Xmas Star Twisted recipe will quickly become a family favourite and dazzle at your next Christmas party.
- 7g active dry yeast
- 240ml milk, slightly warmed
- 1 egg
- 60g butter, softened
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 475g plain flour
- 75g seedless raspberry jam
- 75g nutella
- 75g spiced pumpkin puree ( 1 teaspoon each of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 75g cinnamon bun filling (150 grams unsalted butter mixed with 75 grams brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Add the yeast and sugar to the warmed milk, whisk to combine and leave to rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and stir to combine. With the motor running, add the yeast mixture followed by the butter and egg. Mix on medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 portions. Roll 1 portion into a 12 inch circle. Place on a large lined baking tray. Working with a quarter of the circle spread ⅓ of the jam on to the quarter. Spread ⅓ of the nutella on another ¼, the spiced pumpkin puree on ¼ and the cinnamon bun filling on the final ¼. Repeat twice, layering dough and fillings - making sure the same fillings go on top of each other, and ending with the final circle of dough.
- Place a 2 inch round cutter on top of the dough in the centre of the circle but do not press down - it’s just an aid to help you with the next step!
- With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from the edge of the round cutter to edge of dough - each filling should have 4 strips cut into it. Remove the cutter. Working with 2 strips that are next to each other at a time, twist and rotate each strip twice outward. Pinch ends together. Repeat with remaining strips, then cover with a clean tea towel and let rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 210 C / 190 C fan. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.